2020 will be remembered for what did…and didn’t happen. One of the staples that didn’t happen was Lake City’s special ArtFields…but 2021 is a different story as it’s a full go for all nine days once again for one of the biggest art festivals in the U.S. Southeast!
From Friday, April 23 until Saturday, May 1, they will be placing artwork in venues all over town (in addition to temporary art installations and murals), host lucrative and reputation-making art competitions, and offer a wide variety of special events that allow for social distancing.
Art can do a lot in nine days when it takes over a city and there are awards of more than $100,000 to artists!
Speaking of special events, they include:
- Dandelion Stroll—April 23 in the ArtFields District 5:30-8:30pm. Begin ArtFields 2021 with live performers sprinkled around town and artwork venues before the downtown businesses take over for nightly entertainment.
- Makers Market—April 24, 11am-6pm; Apr 25, 1-6pm. The Truluck Property by East Main Green will house artists and farmers with goods from across the Southeast in an open-air location that is spread out.
- ArtFields Portrait Contest—April 24, 1-5pm Bean Market. Artists will face each other during three, one-hour rounds to complete portraits of nurses and doctors honored for their efforts during the pandemic. The winners will walk away with $3,000 in prizes. Artists advance until winners are announced just after 5 p.m.
- Plein Air Day—April 24-25 (and beyond). Artists will create stunning Lake City scenes displayed in the Visit Lake City office during the event. Witness their creative process April 24-25 10am-6:30pm and then bid at the silent auction the rest of the week.
- Public Art Projects—New to ArtFields, five projects were selected to bring awareness to current events through art.
- Artist Talks—April 30, 5-7pm. On the Village Green artists promote their works in three minutes or less segments. Visitors can learn more about each artist and their artwork!
- Finale with Awards—May 1 7-10:30pm. There will be two People’s Choice Awards of $12,500 each. All winners will be announced during the finale night that will include live music from Sol Fusion, food and a fireworks display!
Regular art-viewing hours are:
Friday, April 23: 11am-8pm
Saturday, April 24: 10am-7pm
Sunday, April 25: 1-6pm
Monday, April 26-Saturday, May 1: 10am-7pm
There will also be events all week at local businesses, including Piggyback’s BBQ & Catfish, Baker’s Sweets Bistro and Bakery, Treno Italian Ristorante, Green Frog Social House, Jarrito’s and Pizza Roma.
The Moore Farms Botanical Garden and Lake City Park are other great stops in Lake City during the event. All art present in the garden will be marked with information about the installations. Visitors can visit the garden for free or sign up for a $5 tour at moorefarmsbg.org.
Also new this year will also be the option for virtual field trips.
Masks and hand sanitizer will be available at the artwork venues, and visitors are encouraged to practice social distancing.